2G: CBI chief contradicts Sibal on `zero loss`
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation Director, AP Singh, on Tuesday deposed before Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) in connection with the controversial allocation of 2G spectrum by the former telecom minster A Raja.
Singh was quizzed by the members of the Committee on various aspects of the 2G spectrum allocation which the CBI is investigating. The CBI Director was asked about the methodology used by the agency to calculate the losses caused by the alleged irregularities in the 2G spectrum allocations.
As per reports, the CBI chief told the PAC that assumptions suggesting that there was “zero loss” in spectrum allocation are “incorrect”. However, he did not divulge the exact quantum of loss.
This assertion of the CBI chief contradicts Sibal who had claimed that the 2G spectrum allocation had caused "zero loss" to the exchequer and rubbished as "utterly erroneous" the CAG`s calculation that the presumptive loss was to the tune of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
The CBI, in its FIR in the 2G case, has said the losses could be to the tune of Rs 22,000 crore.
Later, speaking to reporters, PAC chief Murli Manohar Joshi said the CBI chief answered all queries, and the PAC is “quite satisfied” with his answers.
The CBI is questioningt former telecom minister A Raja and two of his two close aides RK Chandolia and Siddharth Behura and Dynamix Balwas (DB) group owner Shahid Shahid Balwa in connection with the alleged scam.
The Supreme Court asked the government to constitute a special court to deal exclusively with the 2G spectrum scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days