2G: CBI to oppose bail to corporate honchos in SC
New Delhi: The CBI will oppose the bail of five corporate honchos in the Supreme Court which is to hear their petitions on Monday, in connection with the 2G scam, days after it did not object to the bail pleas of DMK MP Kanimozhi and four others in the trial court.
Sources in the investigating agency confirmed that it has
instructed the lawyer to oppose the plea of corporate
executives - Unitech Wireless` MD Sanjay Chandra, Swan
Telecom`s Director Vinod Goenka and Reliance Anil Dhirubhai
Ambani group`s executives Hari Nair, Gautam Doshi and
Surrendra Pipara - who have approached the apex court for
Earlier the agency on October 24 did not oppose the bail
plea of Kanimozhi, Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, directors of
Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Asif Balwa, Rajiv Agarwal and
Bollywood producer Karim Morani before a special CBI court
It had, however, opposed bail plea of Swan Telecom
promoter Shahid Balwa and A Raja`s former private secretary R
K Chandolia in the trial court.
Tomorrow`s proceedings in the Supreme Court assumes
significance as the apex court had earlier said the accused in
the 2G scam can seek bail after framing of charges against
them which was done on October 22.
Other accused in the case include former telecom minister
A Raja, former telecom secretary Siddhartha Behura and three
telecom firms Reliance Telecom Ltd, Swan Telecom and Unitech
(Tamil Nadu) Wireless Ltd.
All the accused have pleaded that they have not done
anything wrong and refuted the charge of drawing illegal
benefits in allocation of 2G spectrum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured