2G: Congress sees ploy in BJP demand to `shield` corporates
New Delhi: The Congress on Sunday saw a ploy to "shield" corporates having a stakehold in 2G spectrum allocation in BJP`s latest demand to summon the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister before the JPC probing the scam.
"The remit of the JPC extends from 1998 to 2009. There are three stakeholders in this process - the executive, the regulators and the corporates. The executive and regulators have been extensively examined. The corporates are untouched.”
"The demand to summon ministers may be a cat`s paw to shield the corporates," Congress spokesman Manish Tewari told a news agency.
His remarks came against the backdrop of JPC member and BJP leader Yashwant Sinha`s demand to call Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidamabaram before the panel and gain significance as Tewari is a prominent Congress member in the JPC headed by senior party MP PC Chacko.
Tewari in the last meeting of the Joint Parliamentary Committee had reportedly demanded that the transcript of the Niira Radia tapes be made available to the Committee to understand the politician-corporate nexus.
In his letter to Chacko, Sinha maintained that there can be no problem in "creating a new precedent" by the panel as was done by the JPC in 1992 (for the market scam) when ministers were summoned for evidence.
Referring to the summoning of ministers, Tewari said, "If at all, ministers have to be summoned, then all Telecom and Finance Ministers from 1998 onwards must be called in chronological order. There cannot be any cherry picking.
"There is also a moral dilemma should former Finance Ministers who serve on the JPC be witnesses before the same committee on which they serve? However, that call is best left to their conscience," the Congress spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack