2G: Division in Oppn ranks as Gowda attacks BJP
New Delhi: A division in the Opposition ranks
was visible on Monday with former prime minister HD Deve Gowda
attacking the BJP and favouring mid-term Lok Sabha polls if
the government was not able to ensure smoothly functioning of
The JD(S) supremo also hit out at BJP saying that the
Karnataka land scam was "bigger than 2G" and accused the main
opposition of scuttling any discussion on the land scam by
stalling the entire Winter Session of Parliament.
"Enough is enough. We cannot be party to disruption of the
House in the coming Budget Session. I have conveyed this at
the meeting of 11 non-NDA, non-UPA secular parties here last
week. I am hopeful that the Left and other parties would
consider this request," he told reporters.
Observing that NDA had ruled the country for six years and
they should know that Parliament cannot be disrupted
endlessly, Gowda said "if the government is not able to
smoothly conduct the functioning of Parliament, let them
dissolve the House and go for fresh elections".
On the Karnataka land scam, Gowda said BJP was playing
"double standards. On the one hand it is raising a hue and cry
over the 2G scam and on the other, it is seriously involved in
corrupt practices in Karnataka."
"The Karnataka scam is bigger than 2G. I had raised the
land scam including that of the Bangalore Mysore
Infrastructure Corridor project...," he said.
The former PM alleged that corruption
involving Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa was to the
extent of Rs 50,000 crore and demanded inquiry by all
concerned Central departments.
He claimed that former CM S Bangarappa, who is
now with Congress, was likely to join JD-S.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire