2G: ED to issue Letters Rogatory to 10 countries
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate will soon issue Letters Rogatory to ten countries as part of its probe in the multi-crore 2G spectrum scam.
Official sources said the Directorate, which has already contacted its counterparts in 10 countries, where imprints of the telecom scam are allegedly visible, will now adopt a formal route.
They said the ED will soon seek for LRs to be issued in connection with the case, asking for details about financial transactions and background of certain entities doing business in those countries.
A Letter Rogatory is a formal request issued by a competent court to a foreign court and processed by the Ministry of External Affairs on behalf of the investigative agencies to obtain information about individuals and entities.
Sources said the ten countries in question include tax havens like Isle of Man, Cyprus and Mauritius besides UAE, Norway, Singapore, Libya, and Russia.
They said ED feels that some entities operating in those countries were connected with the spectrum allocation besides certain others who later bought stakes in Indian companies that had bagged the allocation.
Most of the companies that had bagged the spectrum had their subsidiaries and business partners situated in foreign countries.
Untangling the financial transactions web spread across various countries is what the ED is focusing on.
The ED has already finished the first round of its probe with all the main telecom companies allegedly involved in the scam.
The companies have submitted details about their financial transactions, foreign holding, the financial backers and information about their subsidiaries.
The Directorate, which has studied the details closely, will now have a second round of questioning with the telecom firms.
The Central Bureau is already investigating the case and had recently conducted raids at the premises of certain former telecom Ministry officials and former Telecom Minister A Raja.
The ED has registered a case in this connection under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know