2G issue: BJP wants PM to resign, Congress terms it a stuck record
Lucknow/New Delhi: BJP on Sunday renewed its demand that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh resign on moral grounds over the 2G spectrum scam inviting a sharp response from Congress which said the opposition party was sounding like a "stuck record" devoid of any substance.
The BJP, which wanted the Prime Minister to take moral responsibility for the scam, also demanded an apology from the Congress for levelling allegations that the NDA government had links with controversial corporate lobbyist Niira Radia
The main opposition party accused Congress of engaging in "desperate" tactics to deflect people`s attention from the corruption issue.
The Congress should apologise to senior BJP leader L K Advani for claiming that he attended a function of a Trust controlled by Radia, party spokesperson Ravishankar Prasad told reporters in Lucknow.
In New Delhi, Congress spokesman Manish Tiwari said the BJP was "sounding like stuck record which is devoid of any substance."
Reacting sharply to BJP`s demand for Prime Minister`s resignation on moral grounds, Tiwari said "The Congress and the UPA government has acted even when there was perception of corruption and BJP has always walked the extra mile to patronise the corrupt from Bangaru Laxman to Yeddyurappa."
"There is a man Dheeraj Rao, who enjoys very good relationship with a prominent Congress family of Haryana, has levelled baseless allegations against BJP leaders," he said.
Prasad rejected the allegation that Advani inaugurated a function of a Trust controlled by Radia.
"In reality, Advani attended a function of a religious organisation of Pejavar Swamy and the land was alloted to him by the United Front government," Prasad said, adding,"Allegations levelled against (BJP chief Nitin) Gadkari have turned out to be baseless and Ananth Kumar has already issued a legal notice.
"This is not the first time when Congress is playing such tactics, it has done so in the past as well," he alleged and demanded that the Congress "apologise to Advani".
Terming the irregularities in the allocation of 2G spectrum as the biggest scam in the country, he said, "Being the Prime Minister, when ministers were looting public exchequer, he should resign owning moral responsibility."
Prasad said the BJP will not relent on its demand for a JPC probe into 2G issue as PAC`s jurisdiction was very limited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India