2G: JPC asks probe agencies to submit reports
New Delhi: All agencies probing the 2G scam
have been asked by the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC)
examining telecom policies to inform it about the progress in
the investigation into the alleged irregularities in spectrum
"Investigating agencies will be asked to come before the
committee to inform about the progress made by them in the 2G
scam probe periodically," JPC Chairman P C Chacko told
The CBI, Enforcement Directorate and Central Board for
Direct Taxes (CBDT) are probing various aspects of the alleged
irregularities in the 2G spectrum allocation. The probe is
being monitored by the Supreme Court.
The CBDT made a presentation before the JPC on the status
of its investigation last week and now the CBI will be asked
to update the Committee on the progress it has made in the 2G
"We want to know firsthand on the progress in the
investigation from the agencies," Chacko said.
The JPC today recorded the evidence of former Telecom
Secretary Shyamal Ghosh during whose tenure the now infamous
`first come first serve` policy was followed for allocation of
Wireless in Local Loop (WLL) licenses.
Many telecom operators violated the guidelines for WLL by
introducing roaming facilities beyond the short distance
charging area (SDCA), Ghosh told the JPC.
Ghosh said WLL was introduced to make mobile services
affordable and had helped in decreasing mobile tariffs.
"Yes," replied Chacko to a question whether Reliance and
Tatas were prime beneficiaries of the WLL services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical