2G: Karuna to meet Sonia, Kanimozhi in Delhi
Chennai: DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi is headed to the national capital to meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi and his daughter Kanimozhi, who is in jail for her alleged role in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, reports said on Thursday.
The 88 year-old DMK patriarch, his wife Rajathi and grandson and Kanimozhi`s son Adithya are scheduled to leave by a government carrier this evening, according to reports.
However, its still not clear whether Karunanidhi meet Kanimozhi in court tomorrow, or at Tihar Jail, where he has visited her in the past for emotional reunions.
Kanimozhi has been lodged in jail for almost six months and has been denied bail.
DMK chief’s Delhi visit is crucial since a special CBI court is set to pronounce its order on framing of charges in the 2G spectrum case tomorrow.
In the process of framing of charges, the court decides as to who among the accused has sufficient prima facie evidence against him/her to be put on trial.
The court will resume hearing on the bail applications of various accused, including that of Kanimozhi, from October 24.
The DMK chief had not met Congress chief during his previous visits to the national capital.
This time he is expected to press the Congress government for some leniency on its part so that his daughter Kanimozhi gets bail this time.
Consequently, the CBI has also indicated that this time around, it would not oppose her bail.
Kanimozhi`s lawyers say because she is a woman and has to look after her young son, she should be allowed to return home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra