2G: No bail for Karim Morani, sent to Tihar
New Delhi: Bollywood bigwig Karim Morani, an accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, was on Monday sent to Tihar Jail by a Delhi court which rejected his bail plea and ordered his arrest.
"Bail is dismissed. Take him to custody," Special CBI judge OP Saini said while pronouncing the order.
Morani, Cineyug Films Pvt Ltd Director, now joins a long list of multi-crore 2G scam accused who have been sent to Tihar jail.
The court said Morani, who is accused of facilitating the transaction of Rs 200 crore from DB Realty to DMK-run Kalaignar TV, in which DMK MP Kanimozhi holds 20 percent stake, has "failed to make out a case for bail."
The court also questioned his conduct and said the apprehension of the CBI that he may influence the witnesses if not arrested cannot be ruled out.
"Considering the magnitude of the crime, nature and anormity of allegations, character of evidence on record and the apprehension that the witnesses may be influenced in case the accused is released on bail, I have no hesitation in
holding that accused (Morani) has failed to make out a case for bail.
"The bail application is without merit and the same is dismissed," Special CBI judge OP Saini said.
Morani is accused of facilitating the transaction of Rs 200 crore from DB Realty to DMK-run Kalaignar TV, in which DMK MP Kanimozhi holds 20 percent stake.
The Special Judge, in its 67-page order, also observed that Morani used every possible legal subterfuge by filing various applications to delay the proceedings.
The court said that allegations against Morani are of very serious nature and the case involves alleged loss to the state exchequer amounting to about Rs 30,000 crores.
"In the end, I may add that allegations against the accused are of very serious nature, which are supported by evidence on record and in cases of such magnitude, the danger of witnesses or evidence being tampered with is always there
and cannot be dismissed with this disdain as remote, far fetched or imaginary," the court said.
The CBI had alleged that Morani took six crore for facilitating the Rs 200 crore transaction.
Morani had filed his regular bail plea on May 24 after the court had denied anticipatory bail and directed him to appear before it.
CBI, in its second charge sheet in the 2G case, had alleged that Swan Telecom and Dynamix Realty Promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka channeled Rs 200 crore to DMK-run Kalaignar TV through Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd
and Morani`s Cineyug Films Pvt Ltd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical