2G report: Congress lashes out at CAG
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday lashed out
at the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) over its handling of
the report on the 2G spectrum issue, accusing it of violating
canons of Parliamentary propriety.
"The CAG after holding a live press conference on 2G
Spectrum issue is now advising MPs not to comment on it
because the matter is being considered by PAC. It is an exotic
logic that after going live with presumptive losses contained
in CAG report in flagrant violation of canons of Parliamentary
propriety, now CAG is resorting to argument of propriety,"
party spokesperson Manish Tewari told reporters here.
He was responding to questions on CAG statement
yesterday that it stood by its report on 2G spectrum
allocation after Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal contended that
the auditor`s projection of Rs 1.76 lakh crore as presumptive
loss was "utterly erroneous".
The CAG spokesperson had also referred to rules in
Parliamentary procedures and practices that prohibit any
official, MP or any member of Public Accounts Committee (PAC)
from commenting on any subject which is under consideration of
"That is why there is no comment from the CAG (on
Sibal`s statement)", the spokesperson had said.
Tewari said he found nothing wrong in Sibal`s
remarks. "In furtherance of their own mandate that their
conclusions should be questioned, the same is being done in
public domain," the Congress spokesperson said.
"First of all CAG went public with the report, when it
should have been tabled on the floor of Parliament and would
have automatically gone for the consideration of the PAC."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur