2G: SC asks CBI response on its stand on Kanimozhi
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked the
CBI to explain on what basis it took decision not to oppose
the bail plea of of DMK MP Kanimozhi and four others in the
trial court in 2G scam.
A bench of Justices G S Singhvi and H L Dattu asked the
Additional Solicitor General Haren Raval to make a statement
before it tomorrow in this regard after it was pleaded by
other accused in the case that the investigating agency should
also treat them on equal footing as far as bail is concerned.
The court was hearing bail pleas of five corporate five
corporate honchos who pleaded that they should be released as
there is no chance of them tampering with the evidence.
The investigating agency, however, opposed the bail plea
of corporate executives - Unitech Wireless` MD Sanjay Chandra,
Swan Telecom`s Director Vinod Goenka and Reliance Anil
Dhirubhai Ambani group`s executives Hari Nair, Gautam Doshi
and Surrendra Pipara - who have approached the apex court for
Earlier the agency on October 24 did not oppose the bail
plea of Kanimozhi, Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, directors of
Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Asif Balwa, Rajiv Agarwal and
Bollywood producer Karim Morani before a special CBI court
It had, however, opposed bail plea of Swan Telecom
promoter Shahid Balwa and former telecom minister A Raja`s
ex-private secretary R K Chandolia in the trial court.
Other accused in the case include Raja, former telecom
secretary Siddhartha Behura and three telecom firms Reliance
Telecom Ltd, Swan Telecom and Unitech (Tamil Nadu) Wireless
All the accused have pleaded that they have not done
anything wrong and refuted the charge of drawing illegal
benefits in allocation of 2G spectrum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post