2G: SC asks CBI response on its stand on Kanimozhi
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked the
CBI to explain on what basis it took decision not to oppose
the bail plea of of DMK MP Kanimozhi and four others in the
trial court in 2G scam.
A bench of Justices G S Singhvi and H L Dattu asked the
Additional Solicitor General Haren Raval to make a statement
before it tomorrow in this regard after it was pleaded by
other accused in the case that the investigating agency should
also treat them on equal footing as far as bail is concerned.
The court was hearing bail pleas of five corporate five
corporate honchos who pleaded that they should be released as
there is no chance of them tampering with the evidence.
The investigating agency, however, opposed the bail plea
of corporate executives - Unitech Wireless` MD Sanjay Chandra,
Swan Telecom`s Director Vinod Goenka and Reliance Anil
Dhirubhai Ambani group`s executives Hari Nair, Gautam Doshi
and Surrendra Pipara - who have approached the apex court for
Earlier the agency on October 24 did not oppose the bail
plea of Kanimozhi, Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, directors of
Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Asif Balwa, Rajiv Agarwal and
Bollywood producer Karim Morani before a special CBI court
It had, however, opposed bail plea of Swan Telecom
promoter Shahid Balwa and former telecom minister A Raja`s
ex-private secretary R K Chandolia in the trial court.
Other accused in the case include Raja, former telecom
secretary Siddhartha Behura and three telecom firms Reliance
Telecom Ltd, Swan Telecom and Unitech (Tamil Nadu) Wireless
All the accused have pleaded that they have not done
anything wrong and refuted the charge of drawing illegal
benefits in allocation of 2G spectrum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH