2G scam: Balwa wants to depose before JPC
New Delhi: In a new twist to the 2G spectrum allocation controversy, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa – a co-accused in the case- has expressed his desire to depose before the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probing the matter, reports claimed Wednesday.
Shahid Usman Balwa is said to have written a letter to the JPC seeking permission to depose before the panel and testify in connection with the high profile case.
"In the interest of the investigation, I should be called to depose before the JPC. I request you (JPC) to consider my request to depose before the panel at the earliest and at a time of your convenience," Balwa was quoted as saying in the letter.
Balwa`s testimony is likely to complicate things for the Congress-led UPA government, which is already fighting to control the damage caused due to the scam, which as per the Comptroller and Auditor General of India caused a loss of Rs 1.77 lakhs crore to the exchequer.
As per other reports, Balwa may turn approver in the spectrum scam case , which may lead to the revealing of new names in the case.
Shahid Balwa, director of DB Realty, had floated Swan Telecom, which was a beneficiary of 2G spectrum allocation. It is alleged that Balwa, due to his proximity to then telecom minister A Raja, managed to win 13 of the 22 2G licences across India.
On May 24, a special CBI court rejected the bail plea of Shahid Balwa.
Special CBI Judge O P Saini, exclusively dealing with the 2G case, also dismissed the bail pleas of Balwa`s cousin, Asif Balwa and Rajeev Aggarwal, accused of facilitating Rs 200 crore bribe to Kalaignar TV in which DMK MP Kanimozhi holds 20 percent share.
Asif Balwa and Rajeev Agarwal are directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd in which Shahid Balwa also holds a stake.
Shahid Balwa is currently lodged in Tihar Jail along with A Raja and other accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof