2G scam: CBI questions telecom honchos, Raja`s aides
New Delhi: Continuing its probe in the 2G
spectrum allocation scam, the CBI today questioned two top
telecom honchos besides close aides of former Telecom Minister
A Raja, including his brother Kaliaperumal.
The agency quizzed Chief Executive Officer of Loop
Telecom Sandip Basu and Chairman of Sistema Shyam Teleservices
Rajiv Mehrotra in connection with the scam, official sources
Basu, who arrived here early morning, was questioned in
detail about his company, investments, financial dealings and
relations with several big corporates of the country. He was
also confronted with several documents seized during searches
conducted by the CBI.
His company Loop had got licenses for 21 circles when
the spectrum was allocated during the first stint of jailed
former Telecom Minister Raja between September 2007-January
2008, they said.
Mehrotra, who came after Basu, was also confronted with
A joint venture between India`s Shyam group and Russian
giant Sistema, Sistema-Shyam is the only new telecom operator
which is offering CDMA based services across the country.
It is alleged that undue haste was shown in issuing in
principle approval for use of GSM technology to the company in
one circle, the sources said.
During the day, the CBI also questioned Kaliaperumal,
brother of A Raja.
The CBI officials questioned Raja`s close aide Sadiq
Batcha in connection with the finances relating to his firms
and his alleged proximity to the former telecom minister.
Batcha is the promoter of Green House Promoters, a
Chennai-based export house, which has come under the scanner
of the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate in the 2G spectrum
The probe agency had conducted searches at his official
premises late last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway