2G scam: CBI questions telecom honchos, Raja`s aides
New Delhi: Continuing its probe in the 2G
spectrum allocation scam, the CBI today questioned two top
telecom honchos besides close aides of former Telecom Minister
A Raja, including his brother Kaliaperumal.
The agency quizzed Chief Executive Officer of Loop
Telecom Sandip Basu and Chairman of Sistema Shyam Teleservices
Rajiv Mehrotra in connection with the scam, official sources
Basu, who arrived here early morning, was questioned in
detail about his company, investments, financial dealings and
relations with several big corporates of the country. He was
also confronted with several documents seized during searches
conducted by the CBI.
His company Loop had got licenses for 21 circles when
the spectrum was allocated during the first stint of jailed
former Telecom Minister Raja between September 2007-January
2008, they said.
Mehrotra, who came after Basu, was also confronted with
A joint venture between India`s Shyam group and Russian
giant Sistema, Sistema-Shyam is the only new telecom operator
which is offering CDMA based services across the country.
It is alleged that undue haste was shown in issuing in
principle approval for use of GSM technology to the company in
one circle, the sources said.
During the day, the CBI also questioned Kaliaperumal,
brother of A Raja.
The CBI officials questioned Raja`s close aide Sadiq
Batcha in connection with the finances relating to his firms
and his alleged proximity to the former telecom minister.
Batcha is the promoter of Green House Promoters, a
Chennai-based export house, which has come under the scanner
of the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate in the 2G spectrum
The probe agency had conducted searches at his official
premises late last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi