2G scam: CBI recovers `incriminating` documents
The CBI Wednesday said it had seized "incriminating" documents during searches at 14 places.
New Delhi: The CBI Wednesday said it had seized
"incriminating" documents during searches at 14 places,
including former telecom minister A Raja`s residence, in
connection with its probe into the 2G spectrum scam.
According to CBI, the searches were conducted at the
premises of Raja, his former personal secretary RK Chandolia,
the then secretary of Department of Telecommunication
Siddhartha Behuria and the then member, Telecom Commission,
Department of Telecommunication K Sridhar.
The premises of the then deputy director general,
Access Service Wing, Department of Telecommunication AK
Srivastava and managing director of Chennai-based export firm
(Greenhouse Exports) Sadiqui Batcha were also searched in
ongoing investigation relating to irregularities in allotment
of Unified Access Service (UAS) License, a CBI official said.
"Searches conducted so far at around 14 places have
yielded recovery of incriminating documents," Deputy Inspector
General and spokesperson of CBI Vineeta Thakur said, adding
that "searches are still going on".
The CBI had earlier registered a case on October 21,
2009 against unknown officials of Department of
Telecommunication and unknown private persons or companies and
others under Section of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act.
"It has been alleged that there had been serious
irregularities in the award of Unified Access Services
Licenses to private companies.
"As per information received, there was criminal
conspiracy between certain officials of DoT and private
persons or companies and others in order to award licenses to
these companies by putting a cap on the number of applicants
against recommendations of Telecom Regulatory Authority of
India and by awarding licenses to private companies on first
come first serve basis on the rates of 2001 without any
competitive bidding," Thakur said.