New Delhi: Chargesheets will be filed against former telecom minister A Raja and two companies by March 31 for their alleged involvement in the 2G spectrum
allocation case, the CBI on Wednesday told the Supreme Court, which
asked the agency to appoint a suitable senior advocate as
special public prosecutor in the trial.
In its latest status report filed in a sealed envelope
before a bench of justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly, the
CBI submitted that many new facts have come out during the
probe into the scam.
"The main chargesheet will be filed against A Raja
and two companies by March 31. This is only the beginning and
many people and companies would also be chargesheeted later
on," senior advocate KK Venugopal, appearing for the
investigating agency, said.
Venugopal told the court that many people, including
the CEO of a telecom company, have been examined by the agency
and Letters Rogatory have been sent to some countries for
probing the money trail. He said some progress had been made
in case of Mauritius.
He submitted that the agency is also probing a land
deal in Chennai involving Tatas and the DMK party.
The court, while going through the status report,
referred to a company and asked, "Is it the same company which
has association with Vodafone and (it) was also mentioned in
the ED report?"
To that, Venugopal replied, "Yes".
The court, in its order, directed the investigating
agency to place before it transcripts of corporate lobbyist
Niira Radia`s telephonic conversation tapped by the I-T
department on the next date of hearing on March 29.
It also asked the CBI and the ED to place the probe
reports before it on that day.
Meanwhile, the Centre informed the bench that it has
got the letter from Chief Justice of Delhi High Court who has
agreed to set up an exclusive court for holding trial in the
Attorney General Ghulam E Vahanvati said that
appropriate notification would be issued by the Centre on or
before March 29 so that chargesheet filed by CBI could be
taken cognisance of by the court.