2G scam: Chargesheet against Raja on April 2
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed a two-day extension to the CBI to file on April 2 its
charge sheet against former Telecom Minister A Raja and others
in the 2G spectrum allocation case even as the agency said it
was readying an 80,000-page document for submission.
In their status reports on the probe into the scam,
given to the court in a sealed cover, the CBI and the
Enforcement Directorate (ED) informed a bench of justices G S
Singhvi and A K Ganguly that the case involved large-scale
violation of Foreign Exchange Management Act and benami
After going through the report, the bench allowed the
CBI plea that the agency be granted two more days to file the
charge sheet in the case. The court had earlier given the CBI
the deadline of March 31 for the purpose.
The ED, in its report, said in violation of RBI
guidelines, foreign money was invested in many telecom
companies, after they were granted licences during Raja`s
tenure as telecom minister.
Giving fresh details about its probe, the ED informed
the court that Rs 106.95 crore was received by a telecom
company in lieu of just one share while the market value of
the share was just Rs 270.
The apex court was also informed by the ED that it
would start attaching and confiscating the properties of
erring telecom companies for violating FEMA soon after filing
of the charge sheet.
The ED, in its report, also informed the court about
various investments made in telecom companies. The investments
originated from several foreign countries, it said.
It said most of these transactions took place after
licences were given to the telecom firms during Raja`s tenure.
It told the court that a joint team of the CBI and the
ED would be sent to foreign countries, starting from
Mauritius, to track the trail of the FDI in erring telecom
companies involved in 2G scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'