2G scam: No bail for Kanimozhi, for now
New Delhi: A special CBI court, Monday, reserved its order on the bail plea of DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi’s daughter and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi and six others accused in the 2G spectrum case.
The court would pronounce its verdict on November 3.
Importantly, the CBI told the court today that it does not oppose the bail of Kanimozhi and four others -- Karim Morani, Asif Balwa, Rajiv Aggarwal and Sharad Kumar.
However, the bail plea of two other accused Shahid Balwa and RK Chandolia was opposed by the CBI.
Giving reasons for not opposing the bail, Special public prosecutor UU Lalit said Kanimozhi and four others faced "specific" charges, apart from the "umbrella section" of 120-B (criminal conspiracy) IPC, which entail only five years sentence as maximum punishment.
"Let’s put Shahid Balwa and Chandolia in different category at this stage...I submit, one can make distinction so far as those for whom maximum punishment can be five years and those against whom maximum punishment can be seven years.
"At this juncture, I am opposing the bail pleas of accused Chandolia and Shahid Balwa," Lalit told Special CBI Judge O P Saini.
Regarding Kanimozhi and four others, Lalit said, "Of course, bail should be granted to them subject to discretion of the court which may impose certain conditions to ensure their presence during the hearings."
Kanimozhi, Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar, Directors of Kusegaon Fruits & Vegetables Asif Balwa, Rajiv Agarwal and Bollywood producer Karim Morani, today moved their bail plea in the wake of framing of charges against them in the case.
DMK chief Karunanidhi has been camping in Delhi since Friday amid hopes that the special court will consider the bail application of his daughter Kanimozhi.
Kanimozhi’s mother Rajathi Ammal and grandson Adithya are also in the capital awaiting her release.
She was last week charged with criminal conspiracy and criminal breach of trust.
All those whose bail was not opposed by the CBI were named in the supplementary chargesheet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference