2G scam: Open to amending JPC draft report if convinced, says PC Chacko
New Delhi: In a bid to end the confrontation in JPC, its Chairman PC Chacko, under opposition fire, on Friday expressed willingness to consider amendments to the controversial draft report on 2G spectrum scam which gave clean a chit to the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister.
Chacko told PTI that any amendment could be considered if the opposition members convince him through discussion about any wrong thing in the draft instead of indulging in politics.
He also expressed readiness for a probe into the leakage of the report to the media, amidst opposition`s allegations that he was responsible for it.
"The aim should not be to reject the report. They should say we want to amend the report. They should convince the committee on the need to redraft the report...I am open to get convinced. But convincing comes subsequently. First, they should be ready for a discussion," he said in an interview.
He said he was ready to have a marathon meeting "continuously day and night" to debate the report in the committee as he has to table it in Parliament by May 10.
His comments came a day after 15 opposition members in the 30-member panel accused him of being "partisan" and demanded his removal as they criticised the draft report for giving clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
Accusing opposition parties of indulging in politics, Chacko, a Congress leader, said if they maintain their present stance, it would mean that the report is not palatable to them.
"They are damaging the healthy parliamentary practice," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam