2G scam: PC Chacko appointed chairman of JPC
New Delhi: Senior Congress member PC
Chacko was on Friday made the Chairman of the JPC on the 2G
spectrum issue, setting in motion the probe into what the
opposition is alleging as the biggest scam in independent
65-year old Chacko, who represents Thrissur in Kerala
in the Lok Sabha, was appointed the head of the 30-member high
level panel by Speaker Meira Kumar, Parliamentary Affairs
Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told reporters.
The JPC, having 20-members from the Lok Sabha and 10
from the Rajya Sabha, came into being a few days back, ending
three-months of deadlock in Parliament between the government
and the opposition, which latched on to a report of the
Comptroller and Auditor General late last year which spoke of
a presumed loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
The two Houses of Parliament have passed resolutions
approving the setting up of the JPC.
A Raja was forced to quit in November as Telecom
Minister in the wake of the CAG report and is currently lodged
in Tihar jail after being questioned by the CBI. Government
says that Raja was being prosecuted for the possibility of
Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal has assured Parliament
that Government would not spare any wrong-doer.
The JPC will examine irregularities and aberrations,
if any, in the implementation of government decisions and
policy prescriptions on telecom licences and spectrum from
1998 to 2009.
The Parliamentary panel will also make recommendations
to ensure appropriate procedures for allocation and pricing of
It will examine policy prescriptions and their
interpretation by successive governments, including the
decisions of the Union Cabinet and the consequences thereof,
in the allocation and pricing of licences and spectrum.
Government had agreed to the JPC after the Opposition
threatened to disrupt the Budget session of Parliament as
well, after almost the entire winter session was washed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued