2G scam: PC Chacko appointed chairman of JPC
New Delhi: Senior Congress member PC
Chacko was on Friday made the Chairman of the JPC on the 2G
spectrum issue, setting in motion the probe into what the
opposition is alleging as the biggest scam in independent
65-year old Chacko, who represents Thrissur in Kerala
in the Lok Sabha, was appointed the head of the 30-member high
level panel by Speaker Meira Kumar, Parliamentary Affairs
Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told reporters.
The JPC, having 20-members from the Lok Sabha and 10
from the Rajya Sabha, came into being a few days back, ending
three-months of deadlock in Parliament between the government
and the opposition, which latched on to a report of the
Comptroller and Auditor General late last year which spoke of
a presumed loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
The two Houses of Parliament have passed resolutions
approving the setting up of the JPC.
A Raja was forced to quit in November as Telecom
Minister in the wake of the CAG report and is currently lodged
in Tihar jail after being questioned by the CBI. Government
says that Raja was being prosecuted for the possibility of
Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal has assured Parliament
that Government would not spare any wrong-doer.
The JPC will examine irregularities and aberrations,
if any, in the implementation of government decisions and
policy prescriptions on telecom licences and spectrum from
1998 to 2009.
The Parliamentary panel will also make recommendations
to ensure appropriate procedures for allocation and pricing of
It will examine policy prescriptions and their
interpretation by successive governments, including the
decisions of the Union Cabinet and the consequences thereof,
in the allocation and pricing of licences and spectrum.
Government had agreed to the JPC after the Opposition
threatened to disrupt the Budget session of Parliament as
well, after almost the entire winter session was washed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!