2G scam: PC Chacko appointed chairman of JPC
New Delhi: Senior Congress member PC
Chacko was on Friday made the Chairman of the JPC on the 2G
spectrum issue, setting in motion the probe into what the
opposition is alleging as the biggest scam in independent
65-year old Chacko, who represents Thrissur in Kerala
in the Lok Sabha, was appointed the head of the 30-member high
level panel by Speaker Meira Kumar, Parliamentary Affairs
Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told reporters.
The JPC, having 20-members from the Lok Sabha and 10
from the Rajya Sabha, came into being a few days back, ending
three-months of deadlock in Parliament between the government
and the opposition, which latched on to a report of the
Comptroller and Auditor General late last year which spoke of
a presumed loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
The two Houses of Parliament have passed resolutions
approving the setting up of the JPC.
A Raja was forced to quit in November as Telecom
Minister in the wake of the CAG report and is currently lodged
in Tihar jail after being questioned by the CBI. Government
says that Raja was being prosecuted for the possibility of
Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal has assured Parliament
that Government would not spare any wrong-doer.
The JPC will examine irregularities and aberrations,
if any, in the implementation of government decisions and
policy prescriptions on telecom licences and spectrum from
1998 to 2009.
The Parliamentary panel will also make recommendations
to ensure appropriate procedures for allocation and pricing of
It will examine policy prescriptions and their
interpretation by successive governments, including the
decisions of the Union Cabinet and the consequences thereof,
in the allocation and pricing of licences and spectrum.
Government had agreed to the JPC after the Opposition
threatened to disrupt the Budget session of Parliament as
well, after almost the entire winter session was washed
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!