2G scam: Radia meets CBI Director
New Delhi: Corporate lobbyist Niira Radia, under scanner for her role in the 2G scam, met Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director AP Singh on Wednesday.
As per reports, Radia herself had sought an appointment with Singh. The country’s premier investigating agency is probing the spectrum scam under the direct supervision of the Supreme Court.
Radia is said to have submitted documents related to the case.
However, the CBI refused to comment on what transpired at the
meeting which lasted for nearly 20 minutes at Singh’s office in North Block.
"She is a witness in the case and can meet any
official of the agency," CBI sources said.
Radia is listed as witness number 44 among over 125
witnesses which include some former bureaucrats of the telecom
department, corporates and even Attorney General Goolam Essaji
CBI is likely to file the second supplementary charge
sheet in the scam by June end or in first week of July.
The CBI had raided Radia`s offices and residence to look for evidence in the 2G scam, but had not named her in the FIR apparently due to lack of evidence.
Radia’s intercepted telephonic conversations had shown her lobbying for Raja during government formation at the Centre in 2009. She was also the lobbyist for the Tata Teleservices Ltd, one of the contenders for license for mobile phone services using scarce second generation radio waves.
However, last week CBI had given a clean chit to the Tatas in the case.
"There was no irregularity in the granting of 2G licences to the Tata group," CBI counsel A.K. Singh had told CBI Special Judge OP Saini.
"Tata was not the beneficiary as they were in this business from earlier. It was some of the new companies who got benefits," Singh told the court.
The Income Tax department is also investigating Radia for tax evasion.
In a report submitted to the apex court, tax authorities have said the investigations were launched on the basis of details gathered during a raid on two alleged hawala operators, Anil Bansal and Radhey Shyam Bansal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves