2G scam: ‘Raja communicated to PM about policy’
New Delhi: A key prosecution witness in the 2G case today told a Delhi court that former Telecom Minister A Raja had written a letter to the Prime Minister about the "policy" for distribution of licences but the issues involved in it were not "discussed" in the Department of Telecom (DoT).
A K Srivastava, a former Deputy Director General (AS) of the DoT, testified this in the court after counsel appearing for Sidharath Behura, former telecom secretary and an accused in the case, asked him about a January 7, 2008 note of the DoT containing details of first-come-first-served (FCFS) policy.
"Kindly take a look on your note dated January 7, 2008... wherein you yourself have recorded that an applicant, who fulfills the conditions of LoI first will be granted licence first. Could you please elaborate this in the light of your answer above," Behura`s counsel S P Minocha asked Srivastava.
Srivastava answered the query saying the related paragraph in the January 7, 2008 note is "an extract of letter written by MOC&IT (Raja) to the Prime Minister on December 26, 2007."
"I was asked to treat the contents of this letter as policy directives for licensing matters ... These are not the views of the AS cell or myself as the said letter was neither processed nor put up by AS cell," he said.
"It is wrong to suggest that this was the policy decided by DoT and subsequently communicated to the PM," he deposed, adding, "The said policy was neither discussed in the DoT nor I had any occasion to apply my mind to the same."
Raja, in a December 26, 2007 letter to the Prime Minister, had given details about the procedures to be adopted for the distribution of LoIs to the companies and the FCFS policy.
The CBI, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Raja, in conspiracy with other accused, had changed the FCFS policy to favour some telecom companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'