2G scam: ‘Raja communicated to PM about policy’
New Delhi: A key prosecution witness in the 2G case today told a Delhi court that former Telecom Minister A Raja had written a letter to the Prime Minister about the "policy" for distribution of licences but the issues involved in it were not "discussed" in the Department of Telecom (DoT).
A K Srivastava, a former Deputy Director General (AS) of the DoT, testified this in the court after counsel appearing for Sidharath Behura, former telecom secretary and an accused in the case, asked him about a January 7, 2008 note of the DoT containing details of first-come-first-served (FCFS) policy.
"Kindly take a look on your note dated January 7, 2008... wherein you yourself have recorded that an applicant, who fulfills the conditions of LoI first will be granted licence first. Could you please elaborate this in the light of your answer above," Behura`s counsel S P Minocha asked Srivastava.
Srivastava answered the query saying the related paragraph in the January 7, 2008 note is "an extract of letter written by MOC&IT (Raja) to the Prime Minister on December 26, 2007."
"I was asked to treat the contents of this letter as policy directives for licensing matters ... These are not the views of the AS cell or myself as the said letter was neither processed nor put up by AS cell," he said.
"It is wrong to suggest that this was the policy decided by DoT and subsequently communicated to the PM," he deposed, adding, "The said policy was neither discussed in the DoT nor I had any occasion to apply my mind to the same."
Raja, in a December 26, 2007 letter to the Prime Minister, had given details about the procedures to be adopted for the distribution of LoIs to the companies and the FCFS policy.
The CBI, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Raja, in conspiracy with other accused, had changed the FCFS policy to favour some telecom companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot