2G scam: Unitech chief denies CBI allegations
CBI has alleged the key accused and former Telecom Minister A Raja, in conspiracy with co-accused, preponed the cut-off date from October 1, 2007, to September 25, 2007.
New Delhi: The preponment of cut-off date for
considering the applications for 2G spectrum licences was not
done at his behest but was the decision of Department of
Telecommunication (DoT) officials, Sanjay Chandra, managing
director of Unitech Limited, on Saturday told a Delhi court.
Chandra`s counsel told Special CBI Judge OP Saini that
the DoT officials had to take the decision to have a cut-off
date as due to TRAI`s recommendation regarding "no cap" on
the number of applicants, the Department was flooded with 575
applicants from 46 companies.
CBI has alleged the key accused and former Telecom
Minister A Raja, in conspiracy with co-accused, preponed the
cut-off date from October 1, 2007, to September 25, 2007, to
favour Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Limited and Swan Telecom
promoted by co-accused Shahid Usman Balwa.
Chandra`s counsel RS Cheema submitted Unitech`s
application was submitted on September 24, 2007, and the
preponment of cut-off date was done by Raja as per suggestions
of senior officials of the DoT.
"If the cut-off date was September 23, 2007, and it was
pushed to September 24 to accommodate me, then it could be
said to be a legal evidence against me. But in this case,
there is no prima facie evidence against me," he said.
As per CBI, the cut-off date was initially decided to be
October 10, 2007, and then it was preponed to October 1 on
suggestions by DoT officials. The cut-off date was finally
fixed at September 25, 2007.
Cheema said the allegation by CBI is absurd as the
cut-off date was preponed to September 25, 2007, and even then
he cannot be blamed to be in the conspiracy as he had already
applied within the date.
"I was well within the final date. Even if the cut-off
date was not preponed, I had already applied. What is the need
for me to conspire for this?," he said, adding "as of the
September 25 cut-off date, I was not the last to apply. There
were many who applied after me."