2G spectrum case: CBI may question Raja, aide
New Delhi: The CBI may soon question former
Telecom Minister A Raja and his close associate R K Chandolia
in connection with the alleged scam in allocation of 2G
spectrum to various telephone service providers.
Official sources said today the move is afoot after
agency sleuths transcribed nearly 6,000 telephone calls
involving corporate lobbyist Nira Radia, Raja and others
during which a purported mention about the allocation of
Spectrum was also made.
However, no specific dates have been decided for the
questioning, the sources said.
CBI counsel K K Venugopal made a oral submission last
week that the investigation into controversial spectrum
allocation was likely to be finished in three months time.
Chandolia, who was sent back to his parent department ?
Indian Economic Services ? within days of new Telecom Minister
Kapil Sibal taking charge, was quizzed by the Enforcement
Directorate (ED) on the issue of the first-come-first-served
basis for allocation of spectrum in 2008 after the cut off
date for receiving applications was advanced by a week from
October 1, 2007 to September 25.
Chandolia was personal secretary to Raja at the time of
the controversial spectrum allocation in 2008.
Raja, who had to resign from the post in the wake of the
scam, has been maintaining that he was ready for questioning
by the CBI anytime the agency wished so.
Raja was yesterday slammed by the Supreme Court for
showing "disrespect" to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and for
"overruling" his advice to defer the controversial allocation
by a few days.
A bench of justices G S Singhvi and A K Ganguly took
strong exception to the tone and tenor of Raja`s letter to the
PM wherein words like "unfair, discriminatory, capricious and
arbitrary" were used.
The 47-year-old Raja was forced to resign as minister on
November 14 in the wake of the CAG`s report that the rates at
which 2G spectrum was allotted resulted in a loss to the
exchequer to the tune of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!