2G spectrum charges don`t affect daily work: Raja
Udhagamandalam (TN): Terming the charges
with regard to allocation of spectrum in 2008 against him as
baseless, Telecom Minister A Raja Monday said the allegations
in no way have affected the day-to-day work.
"These baseless allegations do not affect developmental
works being carried out by me either in the ministry or in the
constituency," Raja, representing the Nilgiris seat in the Lok
Sabha, told reporters here.
Raja has been under attack for distributing new telecom
licenses bundled with 4.4 MHz of spectrum in early 2008 at Rs
1,658 crore, the price discovered in 2001, and the opposition
parties have been seeking his dismissal from the Cabinet.
The spectrum controversy rocked Parliament during the
recent session with opposition parties, including the BJP and
the AIADMK, demanding the sacking of Raja alleging that he had
caused a loss of Rs 1 lakh crore to the government while
allocating 2G spectrum or radiowaves. The opposition parties
pressed for a Joint Parliamentary Committee to probe the
Strongly backing Raja, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and DMK
chief M Karunanidhi had said opposition parties were levelling
"malicious charges" just because he is a Dalit.
On the ongoing auction for 3G spectrum licenses, the
minister said the final figure would be known after a couple
In the town to visit the sick Hindustan Photo Films
(HPF), Raja said he as the local MP had recommended to Union
Heavy Industries Ministry to provide a package of Rs 302 crore
for the revival of the public sector unit.
This included Rs 200 crore for clearing debts, Rs 20
crore for salary arrears, Rs 9 crore for preliminary working
capital and Rs 43 crore for updating technology, he said.
Raja said he expected that the Heavy Industries Ministry
would take steps for early revival of HPF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday