2G spectrum issue: DMK gives notice for discussion in LS
New Delhi: DMK on Monday gave notice for a discussion in Lok Sabha on the 2G spectrum issue, on which it had come under a lot of flak, in the wake of claims made by former CAG official RP Singh.
DMK leader TR Baalu has given the notice for a special discussion, saying the reports appearing in the media showed that the loss figure in the 2G issue had been "inflated exponentially".
In the notice, Baalu said this developments put the entire issue in a new light which calls for "thorough discussion into the audit practices and constitutional mandate of the CAG".
Baalu`s action comes close on the heels of Union Minister V Narayanasamy`s remarks that the Centre was ready for a discussion in Parliament on the statement of RP Singh on the 2G spectrum allocations issue, if key ally DMK brings forward a motion.
The former CAG official had claimed that his superiors gave him "written order" following which he signed on the final report giving a presumptive loss figure of Rs 1.76 lakh crore.
It also comes against the backdrop of Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad meeting with DMK chief M Karunanidhi in Chennai yesterday during which the Health Minister had tried to persuade DMK to support the government on the FDI in retail issue.
DMK had come under lot of pressure in the wake of the 2G scam and the then Telecom Minister A Raja had to resign in the wake of the controversy and was also arrested.
Karunanidhi had last week strongly pitched for a multi-member CAG, saying the recent flopped auction of 2G spectrum that netted only about Rs 9,000 crore had proved wrong the top auditor`s report pegging the presumptive loss in 2G allocation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video