2G: War of words intensifies over calling PM before JPC
New Delhi: The BJP leadership on Tuesday demanded a thorough probe into the 2G spectrum scam, and backed its senior leader Yashwant Sinha`s decision to call Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh to appear before the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC).
"The Joint Parliamentary Committee is a constitutional body. It is investigating a very important and a serious issue. All those should be called on the basis of whose evidence or information, this scam can be unearthed. Yashwant Sinha, who is also a member of the JPC, has very aptly said that the Prime Minister should appear before the JPC," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
"The JPC has got this right. Do you want the JPC to run like your Congress Party office?" BJP Vice-President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi asked, while lashing out at the ruling Congress Party for raising objections.
The reaction from the BJP came shortly after JPC chairman PC Chacko hit out at Sinha and dubbed his letter to PM Dr Manmohan Singh as political stunt and against norms.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi earlier in the day said the JPC is capable of taking its own decisions.
"What has the Prime Minister got to do with the JPC?" he asked.
Sinha has written a letter to the Prime Minister, asking him to appear before the JPC probing the 2G spectrum scam.
Sinha, who is also a member of the JPC, citing former Telecom Minister A Raja``s communication in his letter has asked Dr. Manmohan Singh to appear before the committee to clear his name following allegations levelled against him.
In his letter, Sinha said any hesitation on the part of the Prime Minister to appear before the JPC will prove that he has something to hide.
Sinha also pointed out that when Parliament`s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) was examining the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report on the 2G scam, the Prime Minister had publicly offered to appear before it to enable the committee to reach the "right conclusions".
"I think it is in your own personal interest to appear before the JPC and clear your name. You may also suggest to the Finance Minister to make a similar offer," he wrote.
Sinha also asked Dr. Singh to request JPC Chairman PC Chacko to call Raja as a witness before the committee.
Sinha had earlier lashed out at Chacko for not inviting A. Raja to depose before it in connection with the 2G spectrum scam, saying it`s a very serious issue.
Sinha alleged that the parliamentary panel is being used to conceal truth in the 2G scam.
"It`s important for A. Raja who is a crucial witness to appear and he is also offering, himself offering to appear before the JPC. For some strange reason, our chairman P C Chacko is neither calling a meeting of the JPC nor is inviting Raja to appear as a witness. There is something seriously wrong," said Sinha.
"I think the JPC is being used now to conceal the truth rather than expose the truth. It`s a very very serious issue. I therefore, propose to write to the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) as well as to the Lok Sabha speaker to put pressure on Chacko to allow Raja to appear before the JPC," he added.
Sinha, who is also a member of the JPC, along with Left members of the Committee has been backing the former Telecom Minister`s plea to depose before the panel.
Raja was forced to resign from the Union Cabinet after a report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) faulted him for undervaluing spectrum to favour companies who were largely ineligible for 2G spectrum, and added that the government had probably lost Rs. 1.76 lakh crore in estimated revenue.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'