`3 Idiots` school opens door for homeless, orphans
Shey (Leh): Children, who have become
orphans or homeless due to the devastating cloudburst here,
will now get to stay and study at The Druk White Lotus School
- which shot into limelight after it was featured as Fungsuk
Wangado`s school in `3 Idiots`, starring Aamir Khan.
"Many children have become orphans because of the
cloudburst. Not necessarily orphans but also homeless.
Homeless parents can`t take care of their children so we will
take them to our school where they will be taught and fed,"
Jampal Paul Thong, Chairman, Live to Love, Ladakh Disaster
Relief Committee, the humanitarian arm of the Drukpa Buddhism
The school is run by the Drukpa Buddhism sect.
The organisation is looking for sponsors to help such
children especially those "who can sponsor them until they
Even though the school was hit by the flash floods on the
intervening night of August 5 and 6, the structure remained
"Of course, all the doors and widows have been damaged
but the structure is still there," Thong said.
The school has won numerous awards for its architecture,
including the best green architecture award, the most
environment-friendly building and also the best architecture
"We are going to share our expertise and knowledge about
the architecture. We cannot change the climate but we can
educate the people about making such structures," he said,
adding "This kind of things (cloudburst) may happen again, so
we need to change the structure of the houses."
According to estimates, over 10,000 houses have been
damaged and over 200 lives have been lost due to cloudburst
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who visited here earlier
this week, had said the priority would be to build new houses
before the onset of winter.
The chief of the Drukpa sect, 12th Gyalwang Druk Chen has
already announced Rs 50 lakh for the relief and rehabilitation
work in the district.
At present about 700 children study in the school, set
up 10 years ago, including 175 hostelers.
While currently, the school has an upper limit of class
VIII, the school management plans to increase by one class
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'