3 Indians, Russian kidnapped from ship in Nigeria
Abuja: Three Indian crew members, including the captain, and a Russian engineer were kidnapped by armed pirates who boarded an offshore fuel supply vessel in Nigeria`s oil-rich delta region, officials said on Wednesday.
The Indians kidnapped were the captain of the ship, chief officer and a bosun.
The pirates were not detected prior to their boarding the vessel, Singapore-flagged MDPL Continental One, on June 13 some 7 nautical miles off the Offon oil field, according to a security source.
They were said to have reached the bridge from inside to the astonishment of the personnel on board but did not inflict any injuries on the inmates, just as they made away with computers and other valuables.
The 14 unmasked pirates, armed with AK-37 rifles, came via two speedboats and wore casual dresses.
Early in 2013, two Indians, three Ukrainians and one Russian had been kidnapped in the Niger delta region by pirates who had stormed a ship they were travelling in Nigeria`s oil-rich southern state of Bayelsa. They were later released unharmed.
Kidnappers in the region often demand for ransom before the release of their captives.
Five Indians kidnapped in a similar manner in December last year were released but there was no mention of any payment of ransom.
Piracy is common in Nigeria, Africa`s top oil producer, especially in the oil-rich delta region. Attackers would go for oil-laden cargo or kidnap ship crews.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!