3 Indians selected as Manmohan Singh PhD scholars
New Delhi: Three Indians have been selected for this year`s prestigious Dr Manmohan Singh PhD scholarship of St John`s College of Cambridge University.
Parama Ghoshal, Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering at Jadavpur University in Kolkata, Nishit Srivastava, MS in Engineering from Jawarharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research in Bangalore and Sudhir Rama Murthy, a Research Associate with the Centre for Sustainable Technologies at the Indian Institute of Science Bangalore have been selected for the doctoral studies, a release said.
The Scholarship programme has been instituted by St John`s College of Cambridge University in recognition of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s achievements and aimed at nurturing future world leaders in the areas of science, technology and social sciences.
The scholarship programme has been funded by BP, Rolls-Royce, Hardeep Rai (a St John`s College alumnus) and two anonymous sponsors.
Since its launch in 2007, PhD scholars programme has supported 16 bright young Indian students.
The selected scholars would be finding sustainable solutions in product design to managing greenhouse gases to researching ways of tackling cancer.
Singh met with the scholars last week at his residence and wished them good luck as they leave for his alumnus in Cambridge, the release said.
Ghoshal said he wishes to contribute to the academic ecosystem in India by being an able teacher and research guide.
Murthy intends to have a career in academic research and continue to explore themes in technology and sustainability, while Srivastava, after his doctoral thesis, is committed to research work in biophysics and biomaterials specially focused on cancer-related studies, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened