30 boats damaged by Sri Lankan naval personnel
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan naval personnel allegedly damaged 30 boats of Indian fishers who were near the International Maritime Boundary Line on Sunday, officials said.
No fisher was injured in the incident, they said.
The naval personnel allegedly surrounded the boats, pelted stones, threw bottles and iron pieces and damaged about 20 fishing nets, they said.
The fishers were also warned not to venture near Katchathivu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, they added.
The officials said about 2,000 fishers had put out to sea in the Palk Straits in 645 boats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources