30 fishermen injured in Lankan Navy `attack`
Rameswaram (TN): In yet another incident, 30 fishermen were injured when they were attacked at mid sea off this coastal town, allegedly by Sri Lankan Naval personnel and their catch taken away.
Fisheries department officials quoting them,said three Sri Lankan naval boats surrounded the fishermen while they were fishing in mid sea last night and beat them up, injuring 30 of them, besides damaging their boats by throwing stones. Nets of 20 boats were snapped and thrown into the sea and took away almost their catch, they said.
Officials and fishermen association president Sesuraja Emerit alleged that the Lankan Navy have violated all human rights laws when they attacked the boats. "The navalmen robbed almost all the catch and the fishermen had to return empty handed," he said.
Meanwhile the fishermen alleged fish traders here were forming a cartel and fixing price and demanded that government intervene and take action. They cited sale of prawn which sold for Rs 400 per kg yesterday, but was being sold for Rs 300 today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested