30% MPs have criminal cases, says report
New Delhi: About 30 percent of Lok Sabha MPs and 17 percent of Rajya Sabha MPs have criminal cases against them, with Shiv Sena members topping the list, a report released on Monday said.
The joint report by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and the National Election Watch (NEW) was based on affidavits filed by candidates during elections since 2004.
A total of 8,790 affidavits filed by MPs and state legislators were analysed.
The report found that 162 (30 percent) of the 543 present Lok Sabha membres face "criminal cases" and 76 others (14 percent) "serious criminal cases".
About 40 (17 percent) of the 232 members from the Rajya Sabha have "criminal cases" and 16 others (7 percent) have "serious criminal cases" filed against them.
Seventy-five percent of the offending MPs and state legislators were elected on Shiv Sena ticket since 2004. This was followed by Lalu Prasad`s Rashtriya Janata Dal (46 percent).
The Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party account for 22 percent and 31 percent of MPs and state legislators mired in criminal cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?