300 hospitalised after chlorine gas leak in Pondicherry
Chennai: At least 300 people living near Chemfab Alkalis Ltd`s plant in Pondicherry were hospitalized Wednesday after a chlorine gas leak from the factory affected them, an official said.
"None of the people admitted is in a serious condition. Till afternoon, only around 70 people were admitted. But after 12.30 p.m., the number of people being admitted has increased.
Now, there are around 300 people. We will review their condition and discharge around 250 of them later today," medical superintendent of Indira Gandhi Government Hospital said on phone from Pondicherry, some 150 km from here.
The union territory`s administration has ordered immediate closure of the factory.
"Around 7.30 a.m., workers in the factory were filling chlorine gas in 900-kg cylinders. One of the cylinders leaked and the wind carried the gas to the nearby village, where the people complained of nausea and discomfort," Pondicherry district collector Rakesh Chandra said.
According to him, none of the 300 workers in the Chemfab factory was affected as the wind blew the leaked gas away.
The Rs.87.29 crore turnover Chemfab Alkali makes caustic soda lyke, liquid chlorine, hydrochloric acid, sodium hypochlorite, hydrogen gas and barium sulphate.
The Pondicherry administration put the number of people admitted to the hospital at 30, of whom three have been discharged.
According to officials in the Kalapet police station, around 70 people have been admitted to the hospital.
According to Chandra, an ex-gratia amount may be announced by the administration Thursday.
"The relief for the suffering has to be claimed as per the procedure laid in the Industries Act," he added.
Company officials were not available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon