31% newly-elected MLAs have criminal cases: Study
New Delhi: About 48 per cent of newly-
elected MLAs of Kerala and 35 per cent of West Bengal have
criminal cases pending against them, according to a study.
The analysis by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR)
and National Election Watch has found out that 257 MLAs out of
820 (31 per cent) whose poll affidavits were analysed in the
new assemblies of Assam, Kerala, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and
West Bengal have criminal cases against them.
A total of 133 MLAs out of the 257 have declared serious
IPC charges like murder, attempt to murder, robbery and
extortion in their affidavits. An Assam legislator even has
charges of waging war against the government against him.
The West Bengal assembly has the highest number of MLAs
with pending criminal cases (102) whereas Puducherry has
lowest number of MLAs with pending criminal cases (9).
Percentage-wise, Kerala has 48 per cent MLAs with
criminal cases, followed by West Bengal (35 per cent),
Puducherry (30 per cent), Tamil Nadu (29 per cent) and Assam
(10 per cent).
A total of 268 MLAs (33 per cent of the total number of
MLAs analysed) in the new assemblies of Assam, Kerala,
Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal are `crorepatis`. The
highest asset is that of Tamil Nadu`s A Narayanan (AIADMK) --
Rs 103 crore while the lowest asset is that of West Bengal`s
Gouranga Chatterjee (CPI-M) - Rs 36,000.
The analysis looked into poll affidavits of 820 of the
824 newly-elected MLAs. Affidavits of three MLAs of Tamil Nadu
and one of West Bengal could not be analysed as these were not
on the election commission websites, the NGOs said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof