`34 cases against NGOs for launching anti-govt protests`
New Delhi: Thirty-four cases are being probed by the CBI and state police forces against various NGOs for allegedly spearheading anti-government agitations, Lok Sabha was informed today.
"There are reports that certain NGOs receiving foreign funds were engaged in launching agitations against government and nuclear power plants.
"On the basis of the complaints of various violations of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, 24 cases have so far been referred to CBI and 10 cases have been referred to State police for investigation," Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran told the lower house in a written reply.
He said there was no information with the government on reports that donations were being used by foreign intelligence agencies.
The cases against the NGOs registered in Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, New Delhi, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, Tamil Nadu, Punjab and Madhya Pradesh among others were at different stages of investigations. Some of them were facing trials in courts also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says