340 rail projects pending: Minister
New Delhi: Government Thursday said 340 railway projects, including launch of new rail lines, were pending for want of funds, the Lok Sabha was informed.
"As on 1.4.2011, there are 340 ongoing, new line, gauge conversion and doubling projects requiring about Rs 1.25 lakh crore for completion," Minister of State for Railways K H Muniyappa said during Question Hour.
He pointed out that the Railways had not hiked passenger fares for the past eight years to benefit the common man.
"As a result, the available funds get thinly spread over large number of projects resulting in slow progress as per availability of resources," Muniyappa said.
He said besides seeking higher gross budgetary support from the Planning Commission, efforts were being made to generate extra budgetary resources through state government participation, public-private partnership.
Muniyappa said the Railways planned to increase revenue generation by carrying higher freight and passenger volumes, rationalistation of revenue stream, commercial exploitation of land and control over expenditure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter