35 crew members of US ship get conditional bail
Tuticorin: A local court has granted conditional bail to all the 35 crew members of a US ship, arrested on charges of illegally carrying weapons on board the vessel and straying into Indian waters.
In their bail plea, the crew argued that the `Q` branch of Tamil Nadu police had failed to file the chargesheet even after 60 days of their arrest.
After hearing the petition, Judicial Magistrate-I Kathiravan granted them bail yesterday ordering that they report at the office of the `Q` branch , investigating the case, and sign every day.
Earlier, their bail pleas had been rejected by a court here and the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court.
The 35 crew members of the ship MV Seeman Ohio were arrested on October 18 by Tamil Nadu police after it was intercepted by the Coast Guard. They were booked under the Arms Act and Essential Commodities Act.
The crew members were also accused of illegal purchase of diesel from local agents.
Twenty two foreign nationals among the crew are lodged in the Chennai Puzhal Central prison, while another from UK and 12 Indians are in the Palayalamkottai Central Prison in Tirunelveli.
On December 18, the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court had dismissed their bail petitions, stating the probe was in the initial stage and if they were released on bail, it could affect the investigation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate