35% faculty posts in IITs lying vacant: Govt
New Delhi: About 35 percent of teachers` posts are currently lying vacant in 15 IITs and efforts are on to look for eligible candidates for these positions, the government on Friday said.
Informing the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for HRD D
Purandeswari said, "Approximately, 35 per cent of the teaching
posts are currently vacant in 15 IITs across the country.
"IITs have been taking various initiatives to attract
outstanding candidates for faculty positions which include
year-round open advertisements..., invitation to alumni,
scientists, faculty from India and abroad."
She also informed that about 212 faculty members have
taken early retirement during the last decade.
"No record of such members offering their services abroad
was available," she said in a written reply.
Speaking about the norms set for recruitment of faculty
members from abroad, the minister said IITs are open to
appoint NRIs and PIOs to permanent faculty positions.
"However, the foreign nationals are appointed on contract
basis for a fixed tenure not exceeding five years," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!