`351 Gujarat fishermen languishing in Pak jails’
Gandhinagar: As many as 351 fishermen
from Gujarat are languishing in Pakistan jails, Minister for
Fisheries Dilip Sanghani said in a written reply to the State
Assembly here on Friday.
The question was raised by Kutiyana MLA Karsan Odedara
as he had sought to know the number of fishermen from Gujarat
who are in Pakistan`s custody. He also sought to know the
efforts being made by the state government for their release.
Sanghani said that there were 351 fishermen from the
state, who are currently languishing in Pakistan jails.
He further said that in the past two years the state
govt has made as many as 32 representations before the Union
Government for the release of the fishermen and their boats.
"As a result of the representations by the state
government, as many as 736 Gujarat fishermen were released in
the last two years," Sanghani said.
Replying to another question by Abdasa MLA Jayanti
Bhanushali about the fish production in the state, Sanghani
said that the production has increased over the last three
Fish production, which was 7.67 metric tons in 2009,
has increased to 7.73 metric tons in 2011, the minister said.
He further said that the import of fish has increased
to 1.98 metric tons in 2011, from 1.64 metric tons in 2009.
The total fish imports for the year 2011 was Rs 2156.2
crore as compared to Rs 1485.72 crore in 2009, Sanghani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow