`351 Gujarat fishermen languishing in Pak jails’
Gandhinagar: As many as 351 fishermen
from Gujarat are languishing in Pakistan jails, Minister for
Fisheries Dilip Sanghani said in a written reply to the State
Assembly here on Friday.
The question was raised by Kutiyana MLA Karsan Odedara
as he had sought to know the number of fishermen from Gujarat
who are in Pakistan`s custody. He also sought to know the
efforts being made by the state government for their release.
Sanghani said that there were 351 fishermen from the
state, who are currently languishing in Pakistan jails.
He further said that in the past two years the state
govt has made as many as 32 representations before the Union
Government for the release of the fishermen and their boats.
"As a result of the representations by the state
government, as many as 736 Gujarat fishermen were released in
the last two years," Sanghani said.
Replying to another question by Abdasa MLA Jayanti
Bhanushali about the fish production in the state, Sanghani
said that the production has increased over the last three
Fish production, which was 7.67 metric tons in 2009,
has increased to 7.73 metric tons in 2011, the minister said.
He further said that the import of fish has increased
to 1.98 metric tons in 2011, from 1.64 metric tons in 2009.
The total fish imports for the year 2011 was Rs 2156.2
crore as compared to Rs 1485.72 crore in 2009, Sanghani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city