36 foreign drug peddlers held this year
New Delhi: Thirty-six foreign nationals have been arrested and 1,166 kg of narcotics seized this year till March, Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullapally Ramachandran told the Lok Sabha Tuesday.
Twenty-eight of these arrests were made in various states while eight were held at borders, he said in a written reply to a question in the lower house of parliament on drug peddling by foreign nationals.
He said 350 foreigners were arrested in 2011 and 11,795 kg narcotics were recovered. In 2010, 302 arrests were made and 3,611 kg narcotics seized. In 2009, 271 arrests were made and 655 kg narcotics seized.
He said the government had taken steps to improve the coordination between drug law enforcement agencies and border security forces besides strengthening intelligence apparatus and implementing a scheme of monetary rewards for informers.
Surveillance along known drug routes and import and export points had been intensified, besides improving cooperation with foreign agencies and providing financial assistance to states with weak narcotic units, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video