36 foreign drug peddlers held this year
New Delhi: Thirty-six foreign nationals have been arrested and 1,166 kg of narcotics seized this year till March, Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullapally Ramachandran told the Lok Sabha Tuesday.
Twenty-eight of these arrests were made in various states while eight were held at borders, he said in a written reply to a question in the lower house of parliament on drug peddling by foreign nationals.
He said 350 foreigners were arrested in 2011 and 11,795 kg narcotics were recovered. In 2010, 302 arrests were made and 3,611 kg narcotics seized. In 2009, 271 arrests were made and 655 kg narcotics seized.
He said the government had taken steps to improve the coordination between drug law enforcement agencies and border security forces besides strengthening intelligence apparatus and implementing a scheme of monetary rewards for informers.
Surveillance along known drug routes and import and export points had been intensified, besides improving cooperation with foreign agencies and providing financial assistance to states with weak narcotic units, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez