37 GoMs, EGoMs to decide important issues: PMO
New Delhi: Government has constituted 37 Group of Ministers (GoM) and Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) under senior Ministers in the Cabinet to take decisions on several important issues, Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) informed the Lok Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply to the House, Minister of State in the PMO V Narayansamy said, "Presently 37 GoMs and EGoMs are functioning... 47 GoMs and 13 EGoMs constituted since May 2009, have either submitted their reports of considered issue placed before them."
Throwing light on when the mechanism of GoMs and EGoMs started, he said, "The provision for constitution of ad hoc committees of Ministers has been a part of the Government of India (Transaction of Business) Rules 1961, since the commencement of these rules."
He also tabled details of the GoMs and EGoMs and their terms of references.
Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee is heading 24 such committees while Home Minister P Chidambaram is looking after nine groups.
Mukherjee is heading Committees including those to Review Fertiliser Policy, location of National War Memorial, economic cooperation agreement between India and ASEAN, Administrative Reforms Commission, Civil Aviation, Coal Mines Amendment Bill and issues related to World Trade Organisation.
Chidambaram is heading GoMs to oversee the modernisation of transport system in Delhi, issues pertaining to functioning of Prasar Bharti, management of salt-pan land in Mumbai, construction of a greenfield airport, committee regarding Bhopal gas leak disaster among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore