380 Navy officers, sailors to be deployed at Vizag base
New Delhi: Defence Ministry has approved the deployment of more than 380 officers and sailors of the Navy at its base in Vishakhapatnam for enabling round-the-clock operations at the military and civilian airport there.
"Defence Ministry has sanctioned additional manpower of 24 officers, 356 sailors and 27 civilians for INS Dega at Vishakhapatnam for ensuring that the airport is operational on a 24X7 basis," Ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar said here.
The airport, which is under the Navy, is operational only for 12-hours every day at present and there is an increasing demand for extending the flying hours in both civil and military spheres.
Recently, Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju had said that his Ministry has given its nod for operation of international flights from the Vishakhapatanam airport which is under the control of the Navy.
He said the timing of flight operations has been extended by three hours and international flights will start operating from October 1.
Kar said with the increased number of flight operations from the city, it is expected that its connectivity with the rest of the world and the country would improve considerably.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II