`386 phishing incidents reported between Jan-Oct`
New Delhi: The government on Friday said 386 `phishing` incidents were reported to the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) between January and October this year.
"There have been incidents reported to CERT-In by law enforcement agencies on the hacking of email accounts and posting of objectionable content, including videos, on the internet, especially on social networking websites, damaging
the reputation of individuals," Minister of State for Communications and IT Sachin Pilot said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
The term, `phishing`, is used to describe attempts to acquire information like user names, passwords and credit card details by posing as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
Communications from popular social web sites, auction sites, online payment processors or IT administrators are commonly used to lure the unsuspecting public.
Phishing is typically carried out by e-mail spoofing or instant messaging and it often directs users to enter details on a fake website that looks almost identical to the
A large number of phishing incidents leading to hacking of bank accounts have also been reported to CERT-In by banks and financial institutions, Pilot said.
"A total of 508 and 386 phishing incidents have been reported to CERT-In in the year 2010 and during January-October, 2011, respectively," Pilot said.
He said the IT Act, 2000, has already been amended by the IT (Amendment) Act, 2008, to provide a legal framework to address prevalent cyber crimes.
"Sections 66, 66A, 66B, 66C, 66E, 66F, 67, 67A and 67B provide stringent punishment ranging from imprisonment of three years to life imprisonment and fine for various acts of cyber crime, including tampering with computer source
documents, hacking of computers and publishing of obscene information," he said.
Pilot added that the IT Act, 2000, is a comprehensive Act to provide a legal framework for electronic commerce and to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre