39 defence aircraft lost in crashes since 2007-08: Govt
New Delhi: 39 aircraft including the latest
Sukhoi 30 MKI and MiG series fighter jets and helicopters have
been lost in crashes which claimed 16 lives during the last 40
months, the Lok Sabha was informed today.
"39 aircraft including MiG series, Sukhoi aircraft and
helicopters have been lost in air crashes during the last
three financial years from 2007-08 to August 11 this year,"
Defence Minster A K Antony said in a written reply.
Of the 16 people killed in these crashes, 13 were from the
armed forces. 14 civilians were also injured in these mishaps.
The MiG 21s have suffered the highest casualty as 12 of
these were lost in the last three years whereas six MiG 27s
were also lost during the same period.
The Navy also lost eight of its aircraft including four
Sea Harriers, two Kamov choppers and two Kiran Mk II trainer
aircraft, which crashed over an airshow early this year.
To another question, Antony said India has signed a
contract with Russia for procuring 29 more MiG 29K maritime
combat jets of which 24 would be fighters and five trainers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!