4 killed, 14 injured in Srinagar IED blast
Srinagar: Three policemen and a woman were
killed and 14 others were injured tonight when a police
vehicle carrying detenus back from a court was blown up by an
improvised explosive device set off by militants outside
Srinagar central jail in the first major attack in the city in
The vehicle of Pulwama district police was way to Pulwama
when the IED-fitted car parked at a distance of nearly 30
metres from the jail went up in flames at around 6pm and hit a
police vehicle killing Assistant Sub Inspector Sagar Singh and
Head Constable Abdul Hamid inside the vehicle on the spot, the
Another policeman succumbed in the hospital and his
identity is yet to be established.
A woman identified as Kathija of Khawaja Yar Bal area of
the city, who was walking past the site of the blast, was also
killed on the spot near the police vehicle.
Fifteen persons, mostly policemen, were injured in the
explosion and the condition of five of them was stated to be
A spokesman of pro-Pakistan Jamiat-ul-Mujahideen owned
responsibility for the attack saying its activists carried out
the IED attack.
The explosion was so powerful that the sound of the blast
was heard in entire Srinagar at a time when people were
rushing back home for `Iftar` breaking the Ramzan fast.
Meanwhile, police announced a reward of Rs ten lakh to
any one providing vital information about the identity of
militants who triggered the explosion.
The reward was announced as police are clueless about
the perpetrators of the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed