4 killed, 14 injured in Srinagar IED blast
Srinagar: Three policemen and a woman were
killed and 14 others were injured tonight when a police
vehicle carrying detenus back from a court was blown up by an
improvised explosive device set off by militants outside
Srinagar central jail in the first major attack in the city in
The vehicle of Pulwama district police was way to Pulwama
when the IED-fitted car parked at a distance of nearly 30
metres from the jail went up in flames at around 6pm and hit a
police vehicle killing Assistant Sub Inspector Sagar Singh and
Head Constable Abdul Hamid inside the vehicle on the spot, the
Another policeman succumbed in the hospital and his
identity is yet to be established.
A woman identified as Kathija of Khawaja Yar Bal area of
the city, who was walking past the site of the blast, was also
killed on the spot near the police vehicle.
Fifteen persons, mostly policemen, were injured in the
explosion and the condition of five of them was stated to be
A spokesman of pro-Pakistan Jamiat-ul-Mujahideen owned
responsibility for the attack saying its activists carried out
the IED attack.
The explosion was so powerful that the sound of the blast
was heard in entire Srinagar at a time when people were
rushing back home for `Iftar` breaking the Ramzan fast.
Meanwhile, police announced a reward of Rs ten lakh to
any one providing vital information about the identity of
militants who triggered the explosion.
The reward was announced as police are clueless about
the perpetrators of the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city