4 killed, 14 injured in Srinagar IED blast
Srinagar: Three policemen and a woman were
killed and 14 others were injured tonight when a police
vehicle carrying detenus back from a court was blown up by an
improvised explosive device set off by militants outside
Srinagar central jail in the first major attack in the city in
The vehicle of Pulwama district police was way to Pulwama
when the IED-fitted car parked at a distance of nearly 30
metres from the jail went up in flames at around 6pm and hit a
police vehicle killing Assistant Sub Inspector Sagar Singh and
Head Constable Abdul Hamid inside the vehicle on the spot, the
Another policeman succumbed in the hospital and his
identity is yet to be established.
A woman identified as Kathija of Khawaja Yar Bal area of
the city, who was walking past the site of the blast, was also
killed on the spot near the police vehicle.
Fifteen persons, mostly policemen, were injured in the
explosion and the condition of five of them was stated to be
A spokesman of pro-Pakistan Jamiat-ul-Mujahideen owned
responsibility for the attack saying its activists carried out
the IED attack.
The explosion was so powerful that the sound of the blast
was heard in entire Srinagar at a time when people were
rushing back home for `Iftar` breaking the Ramzan fast.
Meanwhile, police announced a reward of Rs ten lakh to
any one providing vital information about the identity of
militants who triggered the explosion.
The reward was announced as police are clueless about
the perpetrators of the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head