4 LS, 2 Rajya Sabha MPs inducted in Shipping Board
New Delhi: The government today inducted six
parliamentarians, including two from Rajya Sabha, in the
National Shipping Board to advise it on crucial matters
relating to the sector like policy issues and security.
"Six Members of Parliament (MP) have today joined the
National Shipping Board (NSB) for a period of two years from
today," an official statement said.
Four MPs from Lok Sabha appointed in the Board are
Somendra Nath Mitra (West Bengal), Rajendrasinh Rana(Gujarat),
A Sampath (Kerala) and Hamdullah Sayeed (Lakshadweep). The two
MPs from Rajya Sabha are KVP Ramchandra Rao (Andhra Pradesh)
and K B Shanappa (Karnataka).
The NSB is a permanent statutory body under the Merchant
Shipping Act to advise the Centre on matters related to
shipping and has played an important role in the maritime
development of the country.
"The NSB has in recent time taken up a number of issues
and made significant recommendations.... The main issues which
have been concerning the Board in recent times are piracy and
maritime security, Coastal Shipping Policy, setting up of
state maritime boards, policy changes in sinking of iron-ore
ships...," the statement said.
Its Board is chaired by Capt PVK Mohan. Other members of
the Board include Additional Secretary, Ministry of
Shipping, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Shipping, Director
General, Shipping, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Commerce,
Deputy Chief-Naval Staff and Director General, Coast Guard.
The other members are -- Chairman of Shipping Corporation
of India, Cochin Ship Yard and Chennai Port Trust, Vice
Chancellor ? Indian Maritime University, ship owners and
representatives of trade unions and bodies.
India has a coastline of 7,517 km of which, more than
5,400 km is the length of the mainland coastline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video