4 LS, 2 Rajya Sabha MPs inducted in Shipping Board
New Delhi: The government today inducted six
parliamentarians, including two from Rajya Sabha, in the
National Shipping Board to advise it on crucial matters
relating to the sector like policy issues and security.
"Six Members of Parliament (MP) have today joined the
National Shipping Board (NSB) for a period of two years from
today," an official statement said.
Four MPs from Lok Sabha appointed in the Board are
Somendra Nath Mitra (West Bengal), Rajendrasinh Rana(Gujarat),
A Sampath (Kerala) and Hamdullah Sayeed (Lakshadweep). The two
MPs from Rajya Sabha are KVP Ramchandra Rao (Andhra Pradesh)
and K B Shanappa (Karnataka).
The NSB is a permanent statutory body under the Merchant
Shipping Act to advise the Centre on matters related to
shipping and has played an important role in the maritime
development of the country.
"The NSB has in recent time taken up a number of issues
and made significant recommendations.... The main issues which
have been concerning the Board in recent times are piracy and
maritime security, Coastal Shipping Policy, setting up of
state maritime boards, policy changes in sinking of iron-ore
ships...," the statement said.
Its Board is chaired by Capt PVK Mohan. Other members of
the Board include Additional Secretary, Ministry of
Shipping, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Shipping, Director
General, Shipping, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Commerce,
Deputy Chief-Naval Staff and Director General, Coast Guard.
The other members are -- Chairman of Shipping Corporation
of India, Cochin Ship Yard and Chennai Port Trust, Vice
Chancellor ? Indian Maritime University, ship owners and
representatives of trade unions and bodies.
India has a coastline of 7,517 km of which, more than
5,400 km is the length of the mainland coastline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next