‘40% married women face physical, sexual violence’
New Delhi: Over 35 per cent of all women and
40 per cent of married women experienced physical or sexual
forms of violence and the figures were higher in rural areas,
the Lok Sabha was informed on Friday.
"The National Family Health Survey III (2005-06) data
shows that in the 15-49 age group, 35.4 per cent of all women
and 40 per cent of married women experienced physical or
sexual violence," Women and Child Development Minister Krishna
Tirath said during Question Hour.
She said 6.7 per cent experienced both physical and sexual
forms of domestic violence.
Tirath said the data suggests that both physical and
sexual forms of domestic violence against women are higher in
rural areas as compared to the urban areas.
Domestic violence defined under Protection of Women from
Domestic Violence Act, 2005 covers physical, sexual, verbal,
emotional and economic abuse.
As per the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data, a
total of 5,788 were registered under the Act in 2007, 5,643
cases in 2008 and 7,802 in 2009, Tirath said.
She claimed that Protection Officers (POs) had been
appointed in every state except Jammu and Kashmir (where the
Act is not applicable) and her ministry held regular meetings
with state governments to ensure that this system was
The Domestic Violence Act, 2005 is implemented by states
and Union territories.
"Under the Act, state governments are required to appoint
Protection Officers in each district as they may consider
necessary," she said.
Maharashtra has the highest number of 3,910 Protection
Officers followed by Rajasthan (574), Madhya Pradesh (368) and
Himachal Pradesh (366).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Forex reserves touch a life-time high of $363.8 billion
- Women not safe in Bihar? After Nirbhaya-like gang-rape, another girl attacked with acid
- Modi, Putin vow to take forward India-Russia ties
- Euro 2016: Spain prepared for clash against 'powerful' Italy, says Iniesta
- READ: How Mahendra Singh Dhoni 'bowled over' this Pakistani model with his calmness