400 cases of crime against women disposed off last month: CJI
Patiala: Over 400 cases of crime against women, including rape cases, have been disposed of in trial courts across the country last month, Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir said on Saturday.
There is need to pay more attention to crimes against women, elderly and children, the Chief Justice told the first convocation of the Rajiv Gandhi National Law University here.
Fast-track courts are being set up in consultations with Central and state governments for expeditious disposal of cases, he said.
Voicing concern over increasing cases of crime against women, Justice Kabir said High Courts have been asked to coordinate with state governments for infrastructure needed for setting up these special courts.
Expressing concern over pendency of cases in the apex court, Justice Kabir said two more courts will be set up in the Supreme Court.
He stressed the need for separate hearing of civil and criminal cases in the Supreme Court.
Justice Kabir asked women to adopt law as a profession.
He said there has been an increase in recent times in the number of women opting for a career in law.
The convocation took place at the new campus of the university in Sidhuwal village.
Some 173 students of the university were given degrees of BA, LLB, LLM and PhD.
Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court A K Sikri was also present on the occasion.
The Chief Justice inaugurated National India rounds
of Leiden Sarin International Air Law Moot Court competition at the Army Institute of Law in Mohali.
The first three chapters of the competition were held in New Delhi, Dubai and Istanbul which saw 12 countries battling for the prestigious award of a full paid scholarship for Advanced LL.M. In Air and Space Law at Leiden University.
The five selected teams from India for the final which is to be held in Abu Dhabi during March 9-12 are Dr Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University, the Army Institute of Law, Mohali, the National Law University, Delhi, National Law University, Jodhpur, and Indraprastha University, Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi