400 `Jal Police` to be deployed during Royal Bath in Haridwar
Dehradun: About 400 `Jal Police` personnel will be deployed at the different ghats along the Ganga in Haridwar during the second `Shahi Snan` (Royal Bath) on March 15.
DIG (Kumbh) Alok Sharma said 400 personnel, including officers, will be deployed for security, crowd management and to rescue drowning devotees.
Divers will also be present in large numbers on that day, the official said, adding they have saved more than two dozen people from drowning so far since the commencement of the Kumbh Mela.
The `Jal Police` will also station five motorised rafts, three motorised boats and personnel will be equipped with scuba diving equipment, Sharma said.
He said force personnel who show bravery beyond the call of duty will be awarded Rs 15,000.
Sharma also said devotees will not be allowed to change clothes after taking a dip at the ghats, but will have to do so at places a bit distant.
This was to ensure that ghats could be quickly emptied after a batch of pilgrims had taken a dip so that other batches could also bathe during the auspicious period, he said.
Sharma said due to security reasons the 28 shuttle trains running between Haridwar and Rishikesh will be terminated at Jwalapur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!