400 `Jal Police` to be deployed during Royal Bath in Haridwar
Dehradun: About 400 `Jal Police` personnel will be deployed at the different ghats along the Ganga in Haridwar during the second `Shahi Snan` (Royal Bath) on March 15.
DIG (Kumbh) Alok Sharma said 400 personnel, including officers, will be deployed for security, crowd management and to rescue drowning devotees.
Divers will also be present in large numbers on that day, the official said, adding they have saved more than two dozen people from drowning so far since the commencement of the Kumbh Mela.
The `Jal Police` will also station five motorised rafts, three motorised boats and personnel will be equipped with scuba diving equipment, Sharma said.
He said force personnel who show bravery beyond the call of duty will be awarded Rs 15,000.
Sharma also said devotees will not be allowed to change clothes after taking a dip at the ghats, but will have to do so at places a bit distant.
This was to ensure that ghats could be quickly emptied after a batch of pilgrims had taken a dip so that other batches could also bathe during the auspicious period, he said.
Sharma said due to security reasons the 28 shuttle trains running between Haridwar and Rishikesh will be terminated at Jwalapur.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case