400 `Jal Police` to be deployed during Royal Bath in Haridwar
Dehradun: About 400 `Jal Police` personnel will be deployed at the different ghats along the Ganga in Haridwar during the second `Shahi Snan` (Royal Bath) on March 15.
DIG (Kumbh) Alok Sharma said 400 personnel, including officers, will be deployed for security, crowd management and to rescue drowning devotees.
Divers will also be present in large numbers on that day, the official said, adding they have saved more than two dozen people from drowning so far since the commencement of the Kumbh Mela.
The `Jal Police` will also station five motorised rafts, three motorised boats and personnel will be equipped with scuba diving equipment, Sharma said.
He said force personnel who show bravery beyond the call of duty will be awarded Rs 15,000.
Sharma also said devotees will not be allowed to change clothes after taking a dip at the ghats, but will have to do so at places a bit distant.
This was to ensure that ghats could be quickly emptied after a batch of pilgrims had taken a dip so that other batches could also bathe during the auspicious period, he said.
Sharma said due to security reasons the 28 shuttle trains running between Haridwar and Rishikesh will be terminated at Jwalapur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp