426 Pak-trained militants tried to enter J-K this year: Govt
New Delhi: As many as 426 Pakistan-
trained militants attempted to infiltrate into Jammu and
Kashmir this year while 37 terrorists were eliminated by the
security forces, government told Lok Sabha on Monday.
In a written reply, Defence Minister A KAntony said in
the last three years, 1,253 terrorists tried to infiltrate
into the state nd 168 militants were killed.
"The Army also suffered 37 fatal causalities in the
same period," the Minister said.
Giving a breakup of the infiltration attempts in three
years, Antony said 342 terrorists tried to infiltrate in 2008,
while in 2009 such attempts increased to 485. Till September
this year, 426 of them had tried to enter the state, he said.
He said that the Army suffered 30 causalities in 2008
and 2009 whereas the figure has come down to seven personnel
till September this year.
The Defence Minister said the Army has adopted a
robust counter infiltration strategy under which a mix of
human resources and technology are used to make an effective
shield against such attempts.
"The posts along the Line of Control are occupied
based on tactical considerations depending upon threat,
terrain, task and resources," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed