426 Pak-trained militants tried to enter J-K this year: Govt
New Delhi: As many as 426 Pakistan-
trained militants attempted to infiltrate into Jammu and
Kashmir this year while 37 terrorists were eliminated by the
security forces, government told Lok Sabha on Monday.
In a written reply, Defence Minister A KAntony said in
the last three years, 1,253 terrorists tried to infiltrate
into the state nd 168 militants were killed.
"The Army also suffered 37 fatal causalities in the
same period," the Minister said.
Giving a breakup of the infiltration attempts in three
years, Antony said 342 terrorists tried to infiltrate in 2008,
while in 2009 such attempts increased to 485. Till September
this year, 426 of them had tried to enter the state, he said.
He said that the Army suffered 30 causalities in 2008
and 2009 whereas the figure has come down to seven personnel
till September this year.
The Defence Minister said the Army has adopted a
robust counter infiltration strategy under which a mix of
human resources and technology are used to make an effective
shield against such attempts.
"The posts along the Line of Control are occupied
based on tactical considerations depending upon threat,
terrain, task and resources," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?