426 Pak-trained militants tried to enter J-K this year: Govt
New Delhi: As many as 426 Pakistan-
trained militants attempted to infiltrate into Jammu and
Kashmir this year while 37 terrorists were eliminated by the
security forces, government told Lok Sabha on Monday.
In a written reply, Defence Minister A KAntony said in
the last three years, 1,253 terrorists tried to infiltrate
into the state nd 168 militants were killed.
"The Army also suffered 37 fatal causalities in the
same period," the Minister said.
Giving a breakup of the infiltration attempts in three
years, Antony said 342 terrorists tried to infiltrate in 2008,
while in 2009 such attempts increased to 485. Till September
this year, 426 of them had tried to enter the state, he said.
He said that the Army suffered 30 causalities in 2008
and 2009 whereas the figure has come down to seven personnel
till September this year.
The Defence Minister said the Army has adopted a
robust counter infiltration strategy under which a mix of
human resources and technology are used to make an effective
shield against such attempts.
"The posts along the Line of Control are occupied
based on tactical considerations depending upon threat,
terrain, task and resources," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31